Noor Alsalam Kindergarten has undergone a successful restoration and rehabilitation initiative, effectively addressing vital safety concerns on its premises The project encompassed the replacement of the existing dangerous wall separating the kindergarten playground and the adjacent cemetery with a carefully constructed reinforced concrete wall. Furthermore, isolation measures were carefully implemented to guarantee the structural soundness of the newly erected structural wall.
The restoration and adaptive reuse of “African Community Society” building was completed at the end of 2013.The building is used by the African community since 1996, where the club organizes cultural and social activities to serve the Old City residents. The building is located in the Eastern part of Al-Rabat Al-Mansouri complex, which was built during the Mamluk period, and consists of a multi-purpose hall separated by two rows of stone pillars with adjacent rooms.The restoration work included re-tiling all floors with stone tiles and re-pointing the stone ceiling and walls with traditiona
The history of the original building dates to 1617 when it was built as a church and convent. The building where the school is located is owned by the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate in Jerusalem and the Middle East which established the school in 1953 to serve poor families in the Old City. The restoration project aimed to protect the architectural heritage, as well as to improve the physical environment, especially regarding the safety of the school classrooms and facilities, thus providing an improved, healthy learning environment.
The Shihabi family building located in al-Zahra Str. In East Jerusalem was last owned by the late Zuleikha Shihabi who was a renowned Palestinian women’s rights activist. It dates back to 1900-1920. This residence delineates a particular and important period in the social, cultural, economic and political development in Jerusalem. It has historic aesthetic, technological and documental value. After its restoration and adaptive reuse it will house the Edward Sa’eed Institute for Music, which is affiliated to Birzeit University.
The Arab Catholic Scout Group was established in 1928 to provide services for the youth in the Old City of Jerusalem, mainly scouting activities. The building consists of three stories, in which 2 stories were restored and part of the ground floor. The project started from 15/9/2013 until 20/6/2013.
The kindergarten was established by al-Aqsa Charitable Society and is located in an Ottoman period historic building at Aqabet al Tikkiyya. The kindergarten consists of two floors: the ground floor has three classrooms and the administration office while
Adaptive Reuse: The aim of conservation should be the daily utilization of historic buildings since this integrates the structures into the community and is one of the best methods to protect it against physical damage. Some creative solutions have been found for adaptive reuse of neglected buildings by restoring the structure to use through providing modern facilities while protecting the historic and architectural features.
The Palestinian Counseling Centre is housed in a rented Ottoman period historic house in the Old City of Jerusalem to provide social services for the community. The three-level building was adapted for its new use. Walls and floors were cleaned, and old s